I have two other significant passions in my life besides Jesus: food and fitness. I mean, in a perfect world all I’d do is workout, make and eat food, and learn about Jesus all day long. Ahh… A girl can dream, right?
Here is the recipe for some yummy muffins I made today. They are both yummy and packed full of goodness for your little bod to grow strong and healthy.
Apple-Carrot Morning Muffins (adapted from Squirrels ‘n Sweets)
- 1.5 C Spelt Flour (or Whole Wheat, or flour of your choice)
- 3/4 C Flaxseed Meal
- 3/4 C Oat or Wheat Bran
- 1/4 C Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1-2 C shredded Carrots (I used 2 carrots)
- 2 shredded Apples (I left skin ON)
- 1/2 C Raisins or other dried fruit
- 1 C chopped Nuts/Seed Mix (I used walnuts, pecans and pepitos)
- 3/4 C Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 Flax Eggs* (or real eggs)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Do this: preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, flaxseed meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl. Add shredded carrots and apples. Add nuts and dried fruit.
In another bowl, mix flax eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredient/apple/carrot/nut mix. Stir just until combined.
Bake for about 15 minutes. My recipe made 20 regular-sized muffins.
*Recipe for flax egg: 1 tablespoon to 3 tablespoons water (let sit about 3 minutes after stirring until gelatinous.)